Arrow Slip Stream

Wednesday 14 January 2009

Bangladesh

The United Kingdom can be a wonderful place if you have the financial resources to be able to maintain an interesting eventful life. One year back home in England made me realise why I'd departed for Asia in the first place. Employment wasn't easy and salaries were not far from the national Minimum wage. I'm not saying I dislike my country but find it hard to believe things can be as difficult as they were. I was however eventually employed and earning and average income and saving money for another trip abroad but it felt like eternity as my bank balance fluctuated from almost nothing to a little.

It was time for a change, so I decided to update my resume and upload some new photographs to my portfolio. Searching the internet I found a few interesting TEFL sites that had facilities for uploading resumes. With my resume completed I uploaded it and waited for a few days. In truth I didn't expect many replies but was overwhelmed with emails from South Korea, China, Vietnam and India. I didn't expect such a positive reply so soon even though I have lots of teaching experience in Asia. I read through most of the emails but nothing seemed temping enough to leave my job in England until one Saturday afternoon I received a call from Bangladesh. It was lunch time and I was in the pub waiting for the football to begin. The first call was a call of introduction and several calls followed until I agreed to an offer to work in Bangladesh.

Bangladesh isn't the easiest place to live and it takes time to adapt to the culture but when settled it can be a rewarding place to live. With a decent salary and comfortable accommodation it's possible to save most of your salary. I have the internet installed in my apartment with cable television and a cleaner. I'm lucky to have my accommodation paid for with just utilities to pay. Bangladesh people are polite and seem to have little problem with westerners staying here. The weather here is cool during December and January almost like a British October. Bangladesh cuisine can be slightly unhealthy although cooked in style tends to be tasty and very filling indeed. I’ve been in Bangladesh for almost three months with a three week trip to Singapore.

No comments: