Arrow Slip Stream

Tuesday 13 January 2009

South Korea

South Korea

I had two options at this point, one was to take up a position as a teacher at an Australian Phonics school and the other was to take up a position in South Korea. I had already attended an interview at the Australian school which went really well and they offered me the job although the money wasn’t great the business seemed stable and could have lead to better things as I was asked to run one branch of several schools they had in Thailand. The problem here was I’d already booked a flight to Korea which was paid for by the school.

Korea was a clean, well organised country but the school I worked for didn’t turn out to be an honest outfit after holding back some of my salary on the second month. This worried me been so far from home and in need of cash. The manager of the school was a decent guy who took me out almost every night to a local bar and restaurant but he seemed to have his hands in other business ventures away from the school that distracted him from doing a proper job. It concerned me but I was happy to give it a couple of months until I had the problem with retrieving my salary. I had to contact the police in the end but they couldn’t do much as the school principal was absent on the day we went around to talk to him. It was all too late and knowing I had money in the bank in Thailand didn’t hesitate to book a flight back to Bangkok.

No comments: